The ILHA Invitational Open Freestyle Competition on November 11-14 at Equine Affaire located in W. Springfield, Massachusetts will consist of a compulsory pattern AND a Freestyle performance. The compulsory pattern and Freestyle performance will be judged separately. Scores from each judge for the compulsory pattern and the Freestyle performance will be added together and the competitor with the highest combined score will be the winner.
- All competitors will complete their compulsory pattern on Saturday, November 13th from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM at the Coliseum.
- The compulsory pattern will be judged the same as all ILHA patterns according the pattern and with each movement receiving points.
- All competitors will perform their Freestyle Performance Sunday, November 14th from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM in the Coliseum.
- Each competitor will have 6 minutes total for set-up, tear-down, and their performance. They can use they allotted time however they choose.
- If the arena is not completely cleared and the performance over by 6 minutes the competitor will receive an automatic 5 point Time Deduction per judge (15 points total).
- Each competitor can use props, people, other horses, etc. as they choose for the Freestyle Performance.
- Use of fire or explosives MUST be approved of prior to the performance. Lack of prior approval will result in an automatic score of 0.
- See judging criteria below.
The ILHA Equine Affiare Invitational Open Freestyle will consist of 15 total competitors.
2 Invited Youth
4 Invited Non-Pro
6 Invited Pro
1 Non-Pro Wild Card
1 Pro Wild Card
1 International ILHA Member
For information about the Double Dan Horsemanship Sponsored International ILHA Give-away ContestCLICK HERE
The competition will abide by regular ILHA Rules (see www.libertyhorseassociation.com/competition-information). There will be a mandatory time deduction of 5 points per judge (15 total points) for any freestyle performance exceeding 6 minutes.
Three ILHA judges will judge both the compulsory class and the Freestyle performance. The judges will be announced prior to the competition. Scoring will consist of the total scores for all three judges for both classes.
- The competitor with the highest score will win.
- In the event of a tie, the competitor with the highest score on Degree of Difficulty will win.
- If there is still a tie, the next tie breaker category will be Willingness of Horse, followed by Connection & Communication between horse and trainer, followed by Artistic Impression, followed by Overall Entertainment Value.
One performance spot in Equine Affaire
The winner will perform their Freestyle performance in the 2022 Equine Affaire Fantasia show in W. Springfield, MA. Trainer accommodations and stalls included.
- Prize money (more prize money may be added)
- 1st place - $500
- 2nd place - $300
- 3rd place - $100
- The winner will receive a Championship buckle. All other competitors will have the option of purchasing a buckle based on their placing.
- Ribbons will be awarded for 1st – 5th
- More prizes may be added from additional sponsors.
FREESTYLE JUDGING CRITERIA
- Degree of Difficulty (0-10pts)
Technical difficulty of maneuver(s) being asked and/or cueing subtlety and/or multiple forms of Liberty displayed.
- Connection (0-10pts)
- Observable connection between horse(s) and trainer.
- Communication (0-10pts)
- Clarity, fluidity, subtlety, ease of communication between horse(s) and trainer.
- Music/Costume/Theme/Props (0-10pts)
- Relationship between music, costume, theme, and/or props is cohesive and obvious. (Note - props are not required but can include other people/horses/animals etc. to increase performance value)
- Overall Entertainment Value (0-10pts)
- Overall performance is engaging for audience and/or judges. Performance is captivating and/or invokes emotion(s) for spectators.